Today it's Ileana's turn to host. Be sure to head over there and give her some love!
I've been thinking about holiday traditions lately. We have a few, but over the years it seems they've evolved. We have two generations of kids and some things have carried over from the older generation to the younger. For example, we like to have a family shopping day where we all go to the stores, split up and shop for each other. The challenge is to hide your purchases from the person you are buying for... without being charged with shoplifting or something.
My parents have a tradition that we have carried over to our marriage. Their first Christmas together as a married couple they bought (or received as a gift, not sure) a pair of stuffed animal puppies with Christmas hats on. Every year they go under the tree (even today) and keep watch over the presents. I loved those Christmas Puppies when I was a kid. It made me feel so connected to the past. Victor and I also have a pair of Christmas Puppies that go under our tree. I think they were from Hallmark. They have little magnets in their noses that make them kiss. Awwwwwww.... Whenever I see them, I think of my parents and the Christmases of my childhood. In our house, the doggies have to hang out up on the tree with the ornaments. That way they don't get eaten by our actual dog, AKA The Christmas Bandit.
One last tradition to share with you. Every year for the past several years, I make tons and tons of baked goodies. We make up plates and take them around to people we love or people we think need a lift. The kids love doing it and so do we!
Today, I have another awesome Christmas cookie recipe for you. Thumbprint cookies have got to be my hands-down favorite Christmas cookie of all time... ever. Here's my recipe.
Jam and Butter Thumbprint Cookies
Makes: About 4 dozen cookies
1 cup butter, softened
4 oz. (1/2 of an regular size package) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
Seedless jam or jelly
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together.
3. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add salt and flour and mix well.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
6. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Form 1/2 inch indentations in the balls with the back of a small round measuring spoon or end of a wooden spoon.
8. Fill each indentation with about 1/4 tsp of jam or jelly.
9. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until sides are just set. Don't allow to brown.
10. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on a wire rack.
These don't stick around very long, I'll promise you that! I made a bunch to give away last weekend and my family was so mad they couldn't have any. I had to make a double batch on Monday to make up for it!
Hey, don't go yet! We've got prizes, remember? Here are the details:
Here are the prizes:
1) The whole set of 12 Days of Christmas Tags
2) $10 gift code to Sam & Hailey Designs
3) $10 Michaels Gift Card
4) The December VDBC Grab Bag (or a $7 gift code to Sam & Hailey Designs if you have already purchased it)
How can you win them? On the 12th Day (that will be the 23rd for our little blog-fest) I'll hold a drawing for each one of the prizes (that's four drawings in one day... I think I can handle it!). All you have to do to enter is comment on my blog to enter. You can comment on my blog on each of the 12 days so you'll have up to 12 entries in the drawings! Each day I'll have a new thing I'll ask you to include in your comment so keep an eye out for that. It's as simple as that!
Today's comment requirement:
Leave a comment and tell us one of your family's holiday traditions!
Be sure to include some way to contact you in case you win the drawing (for example, your VDBC forum name, your email address, etc.). If you don't, I might not be able to get your prize to you!
Time to get crafty, people!