and all through the house
crazy people were running around saying,
"Only 6 days, till Christmas! What the CRAP?!?!"
Okay, maybe only one crazy person... named Jan.
It's the 8th Day of Christmas Creativity! Today is Ileana's turn to host again. I hope you've been enjoying her fun trivial questions!
For my part today, I've got a relatively quick and creative gift idea. It looks pretty involved, but actually didn't take that much time at all! I found a tutorial for it on Chic & Cheap Nursery. I modified it a little bit for my kids to use as gifts for their teachers.
I'm not doing a full blown tutorial here. Mainly because I was really pressed for time to get these done for the last day of school before winter break. I didn't take the time to take step-by-step pictures as I went a long. Here's what I did in a nutshell:
1. I used a "floating frame" which is two panes of glass together with no back.
2. I printed out my letter as big as I could and taped it behind the glass.
3. I used super glue to glue the crayons on to the front of the glass, following the printed letter as best I could.
4. I cut the crayons using a sharp knife. I held the knife over a candle before I cut the crayons. I also rolled the crayon under the blade of the knife to cut through the paper before I cut all the way through. This resulted in a nice clean cut through the paper and the crayon.
5. I printed the sentiment on some nice cardstock, matted it, and the mounted it between the two panes of glass.
Done! The whole project took me about 90 minutes. The frames were 11"x14". I used a box of 96 crayons and got two monograms out of it by using the cut-in-half crayons on both projects.
Before you run off to try this, be sure to enter my 12 Day of Christmas Creativity drawings! In case you missed it yesterday, I've decided to give away more copies of my complete set of 12 Days of Christmas Tags. Be sure and enter by commenting on each day!
Here are the prizes:
1) Three Prizes: The whole set of 12 Days of Christmas Tags
2) $10 gift code to Sam & Hailey Designs
3) $10 Michaels Gift Card
4) The December VDBC Grab Bag (or a $7 gift code to Sam & Hailey Designs if you have already purchased it)
How can you win them? On the 12th Day (that will be the 23rd for our little blog-fest) I'll hold a drawing for each one of the prizes (that's
Today's comment requirement:
Leave a comment with either an idea for a teacher gift to make or a last minute gift to make.
Be sure to include some way to contact you in case you win the drawing (for example, your VDBC forum name, your email address, etc.). If you don't, I might not be able to get your prize to you!
Time to get crafty, people!